The following are selected reports from the Seattle Police Department’s West Precinct. They represent the officers’ accounts of the events described. 

Liquor Holdup

Just before 6:30 p.m. on June 26, a clerk at a liquor store in the 500 block of First Avenue North called 911 to report that the store was being robbed.

When police arrived, they found the store’s front window shattered and the store clerk outside. She said the suspect and his friend — a known shoplifter — had attempted to enter the store that evening, but she’d locked the front door before the friend could enter.

The suspect, however, did successfully make his way into the store. The clerk confronted him while he was concealing bottles of liquor into his backpack. The suspect became physically aggressive and shoved the clerk in order to get behind the counter and grab cartons of cigarettes.

When he found out the clerk had called 911, the suspect tried to exit through the front door, but it was still locked. He went to a back storage room and returned with a hand truck, which he used to shatter the front window. He jumped through the window and — according to witnesses — ran off towards the Seattle Center campus.

The clerk told officers the suspect had taken over $3,000 worth of liquor and cigarettes, including a bottle of tequila that was worth nearly $2,900. Responding police searched Seattle Center for the suspect and his friend but didn’t locate either of them.

Rat Burglar

Shortly after 10:30 a.m. on June 27, police responded to a burglary at a business in the 100 block of West Nickerson Street.

The employee that called 911 reported he’d been at work for about an hour before he realized a burglary had taken place. The front door had been pried open and the cash register was taken.

About $5,000 was in the cash register — an unusually high amount — as the business had hosted a large event the night before. The employee told police they had stopped setting the alarms lately because rodents had been setting off the motion detectors causing false alarms.

Officers took a look around the business and noticed that the area behind the bar was ransacked, and it appeared the suspect had ripped the register out with force.

Some tablet computers and smartphones that are used for business were knocked over onto the floor. The employee told officers that it was evident the suspect had gone upstairs because some files had been moved around and some office drawers had been rummaged through.

Lego Thief

A little before noon on June 28, police responded to a house in the 5600 block of 40th Avenue West for a burglary call.

The homeowner reported that sometime between midnight and 6 a.m. someone opened an unlocked basement window and entered the home while they were sleeping. The victim said his son was asleep in a basement bedroom and did not hear anything.

The suspect stole several assembled Lego toys from a neighbor’s yard, three electric guitars, a pair of headphones, and a new gaming system with several downloaded games.

It appeared that the suspect left through the basement door, and a trail of Lego pieces lead north down the block. The victim suspected some neighbor kids were responsible for the break in.

Working Alarm

At approximately 4:30 a.m. on June 29, police responded to an alarm break at a business in the 200 block of Etruria Street.

They found a shattered window but no signs of any theft. The business owner responded and checked inside the business and confirmed nothing was taken.

Police believe the sound of the alarm scared the suspect off.

Stolen Jewelry

Shortly after 11 p.m. on June 30, the residents of a home in the 300 block of West Howe Street called 911 to report their house had been broken into.

The burglary took place sometime between 7:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. that night. A back window had been forced open and a latch was broken. The victims estimated about $2,200 worth of goods were taken, including three watches, two silver rings, and a micrometer.

Attempted Entry

A little before 10 p.m. on June 30, police responded to a house in the 2600 block of Eighth Avenue West for an attempted burglary.

The victim said she’d been getting ready for bed when she heard someone banging on her back door. She yelled and then heard the suspect run away.

The suspect came into the property through a gate on the north side of the yard. The back door was visibly damaged from a pry tool. The door could no longer be opened from the inside.

Chump Change

At approximately 10:30 p.m. on July 2, police responded to an apartment building in the 2600 block of Thorndyke Avenue West for a burglary to the laundry room.

The building manager reported four machines had been broken into and $200 in quarters was stolen. The damage to the door and laundry machines would cost about $300 to repair.

Cat Burgled

At approximately 4:45 p.m. on July 4, police were called to a home in the 900 block of West Raye Street in response to a burglary.

The complainant told responding officers that he was cat sitting for his friend who is out of town. He went to the house at 7 p.m. the previous night to check on the cat and everything was fine. That day, he returned to the house at about 4:30 p.m. and found that a window on the west side of the house had been smashed.

The cat sitter wasn’t sure if anything was taken from the house, but he said the suspect cut the wires for the home security alarm. The alarm had not been set. The cat sitter said the homeowner had told him not to set the alarm because the cat might trip it.