The following are selected reports from the Seattle Police Department’s West Precinct. They represent the officers’ accounts of the events described.

Stolen Camera

At approximately 8:45 a.m. on April 23, police responded to a burglary at an apartment in the 500 block of Aloha Street.

The building manager reported that a suspect entered the lobby at 3:30 a.m. that morning and stole a surveillance camera.

He was unsure if anything else was stolen, and he said there were no signs of forced entry, leading him to  believe the suspect may have had the call box code.

The code had since been changed.

Pried Window

Just after 10:15 a.m. on April 29, police responded to a house in the 2400 block of 35th Avenue West for a burglary.

The victim told police she left her home at 2 p.m. the previous afternoon and didn’t return until she got a call from her neighbor that morning informing her that a window on the south side of the house was wide open and the screen was missing.

The screen was later located in the backyard. The window had pry marks from a hammer claw. The hammer was found on the ground near the window.

Responding officers dusted for fingerprints and found several prints on the window’s glass. Several rooms had been rummaged through, and the victim reported that a jewelry pouch had been stolen from the master bedroom.
The pouch contained a platinum wedding ring and band worth a combined $18,000, and a checkbook was also stolen from the kitchen counter.

Prowled Garage

Shortly after 3 p.m. on April 30, the owner of a home in the 1600 block of 7th Avenue West called 911 to report a burglary that occurred overnight.

The man said he had come out to his detached garage that morning and found it had been burglarized.

The victim told police he regularly leaves the side entrance door to the garage unlocked as well as the doors to the two cars that are parked inside.

He said that the garage was rummaged through and the cars were both prowled. Several tools were stolen from the garage including two air compressors, a reciprocating saw and an air gauge, with a value just shy of $1,000.

A neighbor to the north reported his security camera caught footage of a suspect trying to enter his cars and garage at about 2:30 a.m. that morning. He was going to email that video to police.

Rampant Burglaries

Just before 12:30 p.m. on May 2, a man called 911 to report a burglary at his home in the 4400 block of 31st Avenue West.

He said it was the second burglary in a month, and that there was no damage from forced entry. A backpack containing his passport, an electric guitar and a 22-caliber rifle were stolen in this burglary. All items were taken from the master bedroom.

Stolen Phones

A little before 1 p.m. on May 3, police responded to a store in the 1800 block of 15th Avenue West for a burglary.

Employees reported that an inventory check revealed five demo items were missing from the back stockroom: four smartphones and a table computer.

The building had an alarm trip at about 3:30 a.m. Employees believed someone had come in at that time and taken the items.

Dangerous Altercation

At approximately 12:30 a.m. on April 27, police responded to a 911 call from Fifth Avenue North and Republican Street for a report of two men fighting, one with a knife.

Upon arrival officers found both men on the ground, the victim was on top of the suspect attempting to restrain him. The victim had a six to eight-inch laceration on the right side of his neck that was bleeding severely.

A witness reported he’d been walking on Fifth Avenue North when he saw four people fighting. The suspect and the victim were on the ground fighting when he saw the suspect draw a knife and cut the victim on the side of the neck. The two men continued to fight until police arrived.

The victim told police he approached the suspect and his friend because he believed they may have been the suspects who broke into his friend’s car and stole some music equipment.

He said he attempted to talk to the two suspects, and it turned into an argument and then a physical altercation. He ended up on the ground with the suspect, who pulled out a knife and cut him on the neck. He got on top of the suspect and restrained him until police arrived.

The second suspect ran away from the scene and the victim’s friend had chased him. He lost sight of the suspect and eventually made his way back to the scene.

Responding officers attempted to locate the second suspect but were unsuccessful. Medics from the Seattle Fire Department responded to the scene to attend to the victim, and ended up taking him to Harborview Medical Center.

The suspect was arrested and booked into King County Jail under investigation of felony assault. When officers searched the suspect, they found several burglary tools, including tools typically used to break car windows, a flashlight, screwdrivers and an extendable magnet.

Hot Pursuit

Just after 12:15 p.m. on April 29, a woman called 911 to report she was in the Queen Anne Greenbelt and she was being followed by a homeless man who was holding a hatchet.

She said she’d been walking her dog through the park when the man popped out of the bushes with the hatchet and said, “Get out of here bitch.” The suspect continued to follow her in a threatening manner until she put her cell phone on speaker and he could hear she was on the phone with 911.

Responding police met up with the victim at 14th Avenue West and West Garfield Street. They went into the park and found the suspect’s tent, but despite an extensive canine search didn’t find the suspect.

The victim was very upset by the event, and was shaking and crying while speaking with police.